Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Slowing Down To Touch

Those individuals who know me well also know that I have a lot of trouble with my fingers, especially in the non-summer months. I experience Raynauds phenomenon, a condition in which the blood vessels constrict in such a way that the flow of oxygen to the extremities (in my case, finger tips) is compromised. The tissue then breaks down resulting in discomfort and pain in that area. My recent bout of discomfort has got me thinking about our sense of touch.

Touch is one of the ways in which the world reveals itself to us and we come to know it. The softness of a baby’s skin, the crackling leaves under foot in the Northeast this time of year, and the cold, smooth sensation of a window pane on a winter morning all reveal different elements, and even meanings, of the very sensual world in which we live. In the busyness that marks our lives, many of us have forgotten the world’s sensuality—experienced through touch as well as our other senses. Noticing tastes, sounds, smells, colors, forms, and textures all require presence and reflection, which further require time. As we rush from A to B, we can overlook the changing color of the trees. When we eat in front of the television set, we might miss the textures of our food. And as we hurry to dress each morning, we can inadvertently ignore how comforting, or not, the fabrics feel against our skin.

I think my point here is that sensuality is not an experience reserved for fantastical sexual encounters. It is available to us all the time. It is a way of relating to the things around us that requires slowing down enough so that the world can reveal itself in its fullness. It is also, I believe, a way of honoring our bodies. As someone who has a compromised sense of touch much of the time, I encourage others not to take this potentially wonderful sense for granted. Take the time to feel your way through the world, quite literally. As you touch it (and see, taste, smell, and hear it), the world will reveal a sense of wonder and delight and joy— leaving you feeling connected in body and soul.

No comments: