Wednesday, June 3, 2009

For an Artist

I’ve come into the office early this morning, coffee in hand, with the intention of writing most of the day. I have columns for my website that need to be written according to my own, now past, self-imposed deadline; a blog that needs attention desperately; the next chapter of my memoir; and a paper to write for a conference this August. I check the NY Times, the local paper, and favorite astrology websites seemingly for inspiration though deep down I know it’s procrastination. I check my email and find a message from my nephew, a songwriter, asking for advice about getting through writer’s block and think to myself You are asking the WRONG person at this particular moment. I’m tempted to pay the bills sitting on my desk, to write-up a clinical report, water plants that don’t need water, shop online, and reorganize my bookshelves- which also don’t need this- all in an effort not to have to sit at my computer feeling empty. Empty of observations, wisdom, poetry, or hope.

Begin where you are. This is the advice I will write in response to my nephew’s question. Write about not being able to write, and maybe- just maybe- somewhere outside of your own will, the emptiness will turn into a vessel where ideas, observations, even some wisdom will begin to take shape….

No comments: