Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Nature of Love...

I was listening to Martina McBride's This One's for the Girls this morning. It's a simple song that has a powerful effect on me. "To love without holding back" is a huge goal of mine this days. I know that it is what I am meant to do here on earth, and in many respects, this is not difficult for me. I tend to love easily, to fall in love often, and to joy in the experience of revealing myself from within this place of love. The intensity with which I can love, though, renders me vulnerable; and this can be painful.

I'm trying to explore ways of transforming my own love nature. I have a difficult time reconciling my desire for intense, transcendent love that is nevertheless ultimately personal (which I have never experienced except in one-sided fantasy) with that of my belief that I can (and perhaps, should) love anybody and everybody-- i.e., that my love should not discriminate. I do tend to experience such discrimination though. I feel more strongly toward some than others. What makes a person feel such strong longing for any one person over another? Is such an experience real or illusory?

For now, I'm focusing on not holding back what I feel. Which doesn't mean I will act on everything feeling, just that I won't amputate the experience within me- as I've been known to do.

Thanks- and love- to Jeremy for teaching me this.

No comments: