Monday, April 27, 2009

No Sour Milk

I'm usually a naturally grateful person. I feel gratitude rather spontaneously and sincerely, for everything from the pleasant UPS man to someboey else's passion that inevitably inspires me. Lately, though, I haven't been feeling very thankful. So I've been doing what Oprah and others are often touting: Keeping a gratitude journal, at least mentally. 10 things a day. Some days I have to dig deep, expressing gratitude for not drinking sour milk or catching the pig flu. My mother always tells my bitter sister to be thankful she has two arms and two legs, which is never a comfort to her. I doubt that avoiding the possibility of drinking sour milk on any given day would comfort her either, but it's helping me to feel as though I'm at least trying.

Here's my list for today: I'm grateful for...
1. My doctor, who listens to me and ensures that I know he is listening
2. Coffee
3. Song's like Coldplay's Yellow played loudly
4. Not getting a speeding ticket
5. AStrology insights
6. The fact that my doctor doesn't think my kidneys are failing
7. Jeans
8. Designer flip flops
9. Pain-free fingers
10. Good writing

2 comments:

simba said...

What a good exercise- even when its hard - which it is for me today after an unsettling day at work: talk of the company being bought, managers handing out inane advice like "its your chance to shine" as people worry about being laid off and losing their houses, an employee I really like and want to shine, but who sometimes acts dumb as a stump:
Still here's my list:
1. My new yellow snapdragons
2, Funny women who like gay men
3. A purposeful bowel movement, at home
4. A cat that purrs alot when I touch him
5. A new friend that seems to like me
6. A few old friends that still seem to like me
7. Lexapro
8. Ice cream in the freezer for dessert
9. The bumblebee that is looking for a nest around my house
10. Memories

sarah said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing. I do think we can always find 10 things; and having a sense of humor always helps.