Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No Title

I haven’t felt much like writing these days. I am stuck in life, and therefore stuck on page. I do okay when I’m sad, lonely, despairing. I can turn this into sub-par poetry. But resignation yields nothing. It is not made of the stuff that easily transforms into art. Its expression on canvas is nothing—the absence of paint strokes, rather than a color, form, or movement of the arm. There is no internal seed to resignation. No impetus that leads to something else.

I look around and see flatness that continues ad infinitum. They say that one thing you can count on is change, but I see a landscape that doesn’t shift or move or transform. The boredom and lack is so vast and leads no where.

I stop writing because I don’t want to be the kind of person who holds such negativity and spreads it to the world. I have a sister like that… I can only imagine how many people, most of whom are complete strangers, she has hurt in her life with her bitterness. I don’t want to be her. So I try to descend, deeper and darker into the resignation, completely giving up and trying not to want anything from life. Is this what surrender is, the not-wanting? How does one continue to want and wish and hope while simultaneously giving up? It’s a lesson I have not yet learned.

I move to plan B. The sinking does not work, and so I keep on keeping on. I go to work and force myself to tend to the daily tasks that make-up life. I try to escape out of myself. And I drink coffee as support.

Today, I am grateful for coffee.

2 comments:

Simba said...

This is interesting - the flatness going on - I feel that some days. I have a friend who is convinced Western civilization will soon end in an economic cataclysm and he rants about it so much that I am starting to worry about him. I wish he's introspect as you do - and drink some coffee or find something to nurture him.

sarah said...

Yes. I have some theories about the flatness, though I haven't experienced confirmation of any of them yet. For example, I wonder if my energy is in the wrong place- so busy trying x, y, or z that there is no more energy left for passion. My best guess is that I'm so focused on trying to change things that I miss what is there- the vitality in front of me. I do find that coffee helps-- maybe in part because I'm allowing myself some pleasure, which is nurturing as you say. Obsessive ranting about the end of civilization seems to be another way of not participating in life-- i.e., I'll just rant about it instead.